Thursday, July 7, 2016

Celtic Spirituality 7 - The little things

The view from Dingle Harbor looking toward Eask Tower
One of the beauties of Celtic Spirituality is its connection to nature and the everyday. It is grand to climb a mountain to find an expansive vista, but there is delight in the everyday and the seemingly mundane as well. Walking to the end of the Dingle pier one can easily see the knob on top of the hill opposite. That is Eask Tower. It was built in 1847 to provide a day marker for ships looking for the harbor. Dingle Harbor is hidden from view with a narrow channel allowing entry and exit. It makes for a very calm bay.
A break in the clouds allows sun to glint off the water
Driving or walking around on the peninsula of Dingle one is constantly rewarded with scenery that delights. The constant change of scenery and of the environment is in contrast to the permanence of the mountains and the ocean. In a human life span we don't notice the movement of continents or whole islands being worn out by the sea. It lends a sense of permanence about nature and about God. At the same time, on smaller scales, change is always happening and easy to spot.
A pristine beach, before footprints since the last tide.
As humans we like to consider our impact on everything. We are often occupied with making or leaving our mark. One reason I like beaches is they are like nature's Etch-a-sketch. Each tide erases whatever castle, or writing, or hole, or footprint we purposely or carelessly leave. Twice a day there is a blank slate. I like this rhythm. The echo for me is twice a day I pray to renew my soul and to start afresh.

Rocks on the beach.

There is drama to be found on many scales in nature. A rock sticking up on the beach reminds me of the hardness of my heart and head; that part which I do not renew; that part which is stubborn; that part which clings to regret, shame or grudges. To let go of those things is a life's work. But just like the rock slowly worn by the sea, so a regular focus on letting go leads to softening the hardness in me.
A grassy hillside. In Ireland these are in endless supply.
Heading inland reveals still more beauty. I marvel at the diversity of life and the abundance of all that grows. There are precious few flat places here. Everything is a hillside or a cliff. And on every surface something is growing. Even exposed rocks end up with lichen and moss.
Snails.
A pair of divergently colored snails meet on the road... It sounds like the start of a joke. These beauties are just doing whatever it is that snails do, at whatever pace they prefer. I left them alone because I have no idea what is best for them. I presume they have made it this far without my help, they can make the rest of their way without it too. Funny, I have a hard time doing that with my fellow humans. It seems I often have ideas about how she could live her life better, or how he could be happier. I pray I can let people be, like I let the snails be and just delight in the beauty that each person is just by being alive.
Foxglove and a tiny stream.
I appreciate the flowers growing all around. Little splashes of color in an otherwise expansive green landscape. I am reminded to keep an eye out for the special people who come and go in my life. Individuals who stand out with particular beauty of spirit. People who radiate the best of humanity and thereby remind me of God.
A stone with cups on the street in Dingle
A very old stone in a very public space. Nature is cool and all, but cities grow where they grow and when they envelope ancient things one must decide what to do with the ancient thing. This sacred stone is right on the street in Dingle. The pavement goes right to it and there is even a fire hydrant right by it. There are curb stones on the far side. They seem to have built the street around it. The cups on this stone were probably used in ancient times to grind grain. During the suppression of Catholics, sand was dropped into the hollows to let passersby know a secret Mass would be held in a safe place. Imagine being a Christian and having to be careful to avoid persecution by other Christians! My prayer for today - May we all be one. May I do my part to make it so.

2 comments:

  1. Joe, I am thrilled at your obviously deepening spirituality as you connect to God's Creation! Would you allow me to post a few of your reflections on our church Facebook page?

    ReplyDelete