Monday, July 4, 2016

Celtic Spirituality5 - Croagh Patrick

Croagh Patrick

The peak on the way down during about a 10 second window when it was actually visible.
Climbing Croagh Patrick is a peak experience. I have been up it before in the company of others. This time, I went solo. There is something to be said for both experiences. Camaraderie provides lots of comfort. I found the solo climb much more challenging. Having been before means I have a sense of the effort required. Before setting out for the mountain, Mary and I had morning prayer together.

I started early; about 8am.
At the base of the mountain Mary dropped me off.
Mary dropped me at the trail head. With plenty of admonitions to be careful and promises to be there when I returned, we kissed and said goodbye. Saying goodbye is an interesting thing. When I turned to go, that was the moment I started being alone. And yet I was not alone. Mary continued to pray for me the whole time I was gone. And, when we seek God on his holy mountain, even when no other people are around, we are surrounded by the cloud of witnesses who have gone before, even as we become a part of that cloud for those who come after. One of the true beauties of the Christian faith is that we are never alone. Walking with a Celtic perspective put me in tune with that cloud of witnesses; in tune with the trail; and in tune with the God who made it and us all.
Statue of Patrick in the foreground and the holy mountain in the background.
The first pause is to have a photo with St. Patrick and the mountain that has his name. Patrick is so important in Ireland. He is widely viewed as the fellow who brought Christian faith to Ireland. We actually have his writings handed down through time. His confession is worth a read. Just a heads up: his confession is not a proclamation of his sin, but rather a proclamation of his faith. The legend we have now is that Patrick banished all the snakes form Ireland from this very mountain. The fossil record shows there have been no snakes in Ireland since the last Ice Age. I'd say Patrick did a spectacular job of banishing snakes. Aside from the fable, Patrick is credited with bringing peace to warring tribes and using a three leaf clover to explain the Holy Trinity. There is an annual pilgrimage up the mountain with many doing the trip barefoot. I am not so tough. If you look closer you will see why.
Going from Mild to Wild

Going into the wilderness

Crossing from pavement to path happens just after the statue. This boundary is important. I come from a very civilized place. I have a neat, clean job in a safe environment. One can certainly encounter God there, but this adventure is about encountering God in a wild place. So pavement, which is so easy to walk on, is actually counterproductive to the adventure today. The wild place I am headed to is cold, windy, wet, and a bit mysterious. I did not get to see the peak until I was standing upon it.
Looking back early on.
The first part of the hike is rocky and muddy. It is strenuous, but I was fresh and gained altitude quickly.  Looking back over Clew Bay, one can see the tide is headed out. My fresh, strong feeling reminds me of when I first felt invigorated to seek after God in my life. I was in my early 20's and had an experience of God which stoked a fire in me to seek him more deeply. I was young, strong and open to wherever the path might take me. I was full of idealism and had a perfect image of a perfect God. I was a sinner who had received forgiveness and saw blue sky and smooth sailing ahead. I did not look at the rocks in the path. I did not see the uphill climb ahead. I was dazzled by the sun.
Entering the clouds meant getting serious rain on myself.
As the climb continued, I found myself winded, working hard, sweating hard. The first time I climbed this mountain I was a bit surprised at how the cold, wet wind stung. This time I had better clothes. As the trail entered the clouds, the rain started in earnest. With the rain coming down, I wondered how long I would be willing to continue. I was a bit past half way up. Being alone means wrestling with this myself. Not having companions to urge me on, or who by continuing their efforts, spur me to greater effort. This is one critical factor of Christian life that many who are "spiritual but not religious" might miss. Having people in my life who are serious about their faith and willing to talk about their faith with me gives me a chance to grow and be challenged. My human nature wants the easy road, but the higher calling often requires something else. Having companions means a clearer vision of the higher calling and people who will support me when I am weak. On this day I called upon the thousands, maybe millions who had done this journey before me and asked them to lift me up - to strengthen my heart; and to carry me through.
St. Patrick Chapel.
I had gotten off the main trail and found myself on a slope that was quite a bit more rugged than the actual trail. I was headed in the right direction, but in a more difficult way. How much of my life has been spent working harder than necessary, but with good intention. The effort is never wasted. I paid attention to the error, so coming back would be easier. The clouds enveloped me and chilled me and kept the whole top of the mountain veiled. God is so often a mystery to me. My own faith sometimes seems to carry on in a void of input or output. I know where I want to be and I trudge along, hoping for a positive outcome. I trust that the effort is enough. I trust that God will take care of the bits I don't have the wisdom or strength for, until I do. When I do go wrong (which is far too often) I try hard to get back on the right path as soon as possible, because, there is a goal.
The way to know for certain you have made it.
The top of the mountain has a simple, white chapel that signals the end of the climb, but not the end of the journey. The sign that reads Croagh Patrick is evidence that you made it. Sometimes one can see Clew Bay behind the sign; not today. Being on top meant taking time to thank God for the experience so far. Taking time to pray for the many who supported me to get here. Taking time for a bite to eat and huddle against the cold wet wind in the lee of the chapel. With no view and biting wind, I was not going to stay long. I texted Mary to let her know I had made it and would be heading down soon. I took the time for a few more prayers and before I began the descent -
The chapel wall to my left, the clouds parted for a glimpse of Clew Bay
- a brief break in the cloud cover.  I thanked God for the break and the view and turned to go back down. Loose rock, mud and a steep decline were the big challenges ahead. I had walking poles with me, which aided greatly. How many times in my life have I used crutches to get me through? I have prevailed upon friends, faith, drink, distraction and so many other things to make the day go easier. I do not regret the crutches, I delight that I have them, and long for a day when I am strong enough not to need them. Today the task was quite simple - just get down safely. I had worked out, but was not done sweating yet.
Clew bay several hours later on the descent.
As I got to the bottom of the steepest bit I encountered the first of the other people I met that day. Two lovely lady's headed uphill asked how much farther? I shared with them what I knew and pointed out how I had gone wrong so they could avoid it on their hike. They were grateful. I can't help but think of those people who have gone before me in faith and who we still tell stories of. Their failings help me figure out what not to do and their success help me figure out what to do. The cloud of witnesses is more present than ever. I get to be one of the encouragers for many people. One of the prayers Mary and I pray all the time includes asking that Christ to "be in the heart of each to whom I speak and in the mouth of each who speaks to me." I am aware of this prayer as we speak. I am keenly aware of it as I encounter each of the 50 or so people as I descend. When I pop out from under the clouds I am greeted with a spectacular view, sunshine and immediate warmer temperatures.


Mary photoed me returning.
Thanking God as I sweated profusely, I continued down. Each step rejoicing that I was getting closer to the finest example of Christ in my life, my wife, Mary. Mary was waiting for me at the bottom and took many photos of me approaching. That I am wanted and loved by such a wonderful person is proof of goodness in this world.

The hike is complete, but the journey continues. I pray that Christ will be in my heart too, as others meet me.





No comments:

Post a Comment